10 August, 2010

Jungle Warfare, by Christopher A. Cunningham



Jungle Warfare: A Basic Field Guide for Christians in Sales is written by Christopher A. Cunningham in an easy-to-read twenty-two day devotional format. Using his late grandfather's Army manual dated December 15, 1941 as a springboard, the author weaves together jungle survival tactics with simple thoughts from a Christian perspective. I appreciated how the author is quick to recognize those serving in the armed forces and clearly states that by referencing a military training manual he is not seeking to trivialize its importance or to minimize these individuals face which few of our careers can compare.

Although Mr. Cunningham's approach may be considered unique, I did not find the content of the book to be particularly insightful, thought provoking, or challenging. I do appreciate the emphasis he gave to a daily Scripture passage, daily commitment, daily prayer, and daily reflection. However, I still find the concepts to be lacking in depth. I see this as perhaps an inspirational how-to from a Christian mindset, and feel that it may be a poor choice of a devotional for a believer really seeking growth.

Some may find the questions at the back of the book to be helpful as he deals with a variety of subjects that would be of concern to a Christian salesman and given that the answers are written alongside Scripture and supporting quotations from various individuals. Although I admire the great work every author puts into their work, unfortunately I can only give this book two stars.

*This book was gratefully received from Thomas Nelson at no cost in exchange for my agreement to post this review.

I review for BookSneeze

No comments:

Post a Comment