16 October, 2010

Really Wooly Bible Stories, by Bonnie Rickner Jensen



Really Wooly Bible stories, is written by Bonnie Rickner Jensen who uses whimsical poetry and simple words to tell well-known Bible stories to young children. Perhaps recognizing the lovable lamb, rabbit and duck from other “Wooly” books, a child will read or hear about Creation, Jonah, the birth and resurrection of Jesus, as well as other favorite stories. Julie Sawyer Phillips, using a blend of soft and vibrant colors, which may provide interest to even the youngest of children, illustrates each story. I read several of poems to my 1-year old daughter, and well… she especially enjoyed seeing the lamb. But what can one expect from a young child who loves to make farm sounds?

The format for this children’s book is the common hard “board book” style, with the exception that the cover is padded. I admit that I have my doubts as to its durability, but then we are working on trying to teach our child to treat books gently, so it might just be me. J  This book would be a wonderful welcome-to-our-world, baptism, or dedication gift for a precious newborn baby, and would also be appreciated by older toddlers and even early readers with the singsong rhymes.

*This book was gratefully received from Thomas Nelson at no cost in exchange for my agreement to post this review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment