27 October, 2010

I Lift Up My Soul, by Charles Stanley



I Lift Up My Soul, written by Pastor Charles Stanley, is a year-long devotional compiled with the desire of drawing the reader into a deeper knowing of the Lord. Each day you will discover, or be reminded of, truths of God and our relationship with Him as you read an excerpt from one of Dr. Stanley's earlier books. Although I had heard him speak before, I hadn't personally read any of his books, so I was interested in obtaining this particular one and was happy that Booksneeze chose to make it available.

To truly gain the message as the author intends, these type of books are best read slowly in their daily format, but even with quickly reading it through I was impressed by the wisdom, depth (considering each day covers only a page), and variety of topics found within. Each day is based upon a select Scripture reading as well as a key verse. Though these devotionals ought to never take the place of spending time alone in God's Word hearing directly from Him, I see this particular book as an excellent way to draw ones focus onto the Redeemer of our Soul, and will look forward to taking a moment sometime during the day to read the daily passage.

*This book was gratefully received from Thomas Nelson at no cost in exchange for my agreement to post this review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment