25 June, 2011

A Place Called Blessing, by John Trent













A Place Called Blessing: Where Hurting Ends and Love Begins is a novel that takes the concepts taught within the bestselling book “The Blessing,” and weaves them into a story of tragedy, redemption, and hope. I cried as I was introduced to the main characters: Josh, a little boy with a troubled and difficult life as he grows and becomes a man; Mike, a coworker who befriends Josh and becomes like a brother; Anna, who is Mike’s mother and Josh’s landlord, opening her home and her heart to Josh. 

After losing his parents in a drunk driving accident, Josh faced a series of difficult foster homes until tragedy struck and his life became hopeless in his little eyes (at age six). Feeling unloved, worthless, and responsible for the terrible accident that occurred, he grew bitter and angry. But after he was out of the children’s home and on his own at age eighteen, God intervened and Josh received craved for unconditional love.

This book clearly illustrates the power of forgiveness and in giving another hope for their future and a belief in themselves (that is proper and life-giving). Although not a very lengthy book (I read it easily in an evening), it is weighty in sharing through the lives of the characters and its twisting plot  how even when lives are intertwined by pain – God writes the final chapter and can bring hope and even joy at the close. This book was written in hopes of the message grasping today’s generation, and I truly hope that others will take the time to read it. Whereas information (however good) can bring much change and desire to benefit another’s life, there is something about a story that leaves you unable to forget. My prayer is that God will always keep in my mind and heart the need to build up not only my children, but all who He brings into my path as I realize that I may have no idea the pain they have endured or currently face.

Overall I feel this is an excellent way to reach another generation with the message of the blessing which Dr. Trent along with Focus on the Family is trying to accomplish. I do wish however, that the author would have taken the liberty to present a clearer message of the gospel and was also disappointed that the Lord's name was used inappropriately once in this book.

*This book was gratefully received from Thomas Nelson at no cost in exchange for my agreement to post this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment